Abreu Advogados has a leading and highly regarded sports law practice.
Abreu Advogados has an integraed and cross-cutting approach to Sports Law, involving specialist in different areas of law related to sports activities and sports business, such as tax law, labour law, corporate law, litigation, intellectual property, EU law and public law.
Among other matters covered under this practice area, we highlight the following:
- Acquisition and incorporation of sports joined-stock companies.
- Representation of people connected to sports in judicial and arbitral dispute resolutions related to sports before courts, arbitral commissions, and jurisdictional sports entities, nationally and internationally.
- Representing clubs, sports limited liability companies, agents and athletes in issues related to the execution of contracts, contracts for sponsorship and use of image rights linked to sports.
- Advising on matters related to taxation on income derived from the exercise of sports related activities and contracts linked to professional sports competitions.
- Advising clubs, sports limited liability companies and players on issues related to the execution, amendment, and termination of sports employment contracts and sports training contracts.
- Representing referees, clubs, and athletes on disciplinary matters before sports associations, and assisting clubs and federations with the interpretation and drafting of sports regulations.
- Advising different sports federations and associations.
- Representing several entities connected to sports in litigation before national and international jurisdictions and federative bodies, namely at the Portuguese Sports Arbitration Court (TAD), State Courts, the Court for Arbitration in Sports, Lausanne (CAS) and other sports entities.
- Assisting fitness centres and health clubs in the licensing and operation of their activities.
Advising several investors in the football industry, with experience acquired through the setting up and acquisition of more than twelve sports companies in Portugal.
Advising on a regular basis to several player agents on sports matters.
Advising on a regular basis Portuguese First League, Second League, National Championship and district competitions football clubs.
Advising on several financing operations for the biggest Portuguese football clubs.
Representing numerous clubs and athletes before national and international sports organizations.
Advising motorcycling riders taking part in the MotoGP World Championship.
Advising national and international sports federations.
Advising on national and international transfers of football players, including to world-renowned clubs on the transfer of players to premier league clubs around the world.