Litigation and Arbitration
Abreu Advogados has a large and experienced team that focuses on finding solutions through litigation and arbitration. Our team is focused in assisting both national and international companies during in and out of Court proceedings, by representing clients in civil, commercial and corporate litigation, criminal proceedings and constitutional law in national and international arbitration, and through other forms of alternative dispute resolution as well as in drafting compliance programmes.
In particular, our team focuses on the following matters:
- Advising and representing clients in domestic and international arbitral proceedings before national and international Arbitration Centres.
- Advising and representing clients in mediation and conflict resolution proceedings and other forms of alternative disputes.
- Pre-litigation counselling and risk analyses of judicial proceedings.
- Advising on litigation proceedings filed before Portuguese courts, including application for preventive measures.
- Assisting the client throughout the whole proceeding including the available appeals levels.
- Debt collection litigation resulting from bank financing to individuals and companies for the provision of services or goods with an interactive management software that enables a scale economies and allows the client to monitor each process in real time.
- Drafting compliance plans on matters related to regulations and sanctions, evaluating risk and training.
- Assisting the client throughout criminal proceedings and administrative offence cases – from the investigation stage to trial and appeals, especially in the area of economic, financial and tax crimes as well as crimes relating to money laundering, corruption and markets’ protection, competition and cybersecurity.
- Commercial and corporate litigation, specifically through legal objection or application for suspension of corporate resolutions and resolutions by the Board of Directors, the effectiveness of the civil liability's members of the governing bodies, appointing or dismissing members of the corporate body, judicial summons, proceedings related to shared capital, protection of minority shareholders, non-compliance with distribution and agency contracts and related claims for damages.
Assistance to the UK branch of one of the biggest US Banks in collection proceedings of a loan (€ 370 Million), the collateral of which lost value, aiming a judicial order against the effective beneficial owner of the SPV debtor. The strategy was engineered with the bank and its UK lawyers and Abreu Advogados represented the bank in all judicial proceedings in Portuguese Courts, which involved several actions, including bankruptcy proceedings, liability of the SPV BoD and beneficial owner proceedings and piercing of the corporate veil proceedings.
Assistance to a Chinese company (world leader of certain solar industry components) in a matter related to a long lasting supplier contract (USD 800 Million). Abreu Advogados role included intervention in bankruptcy proceedings in Portugal, as well as integration in a multijurisdictional team of lawyers (US, Swiss and Chinese) to represent the Client in an international arbitration (Switzerland) and proceedings in China.
Assistance to a multinational telecommunications company (Portugal / Brazil), shareholder of the largest telecommunications operator in Angola, in international litigation (USD 2.2 billion), teaming up with a multijurisdictional team of lawyers (UK, France, BVI, Netherlands, Portugal and Angola), including judicial proceedings in several countries and an international arbitration in France, where Angolan and Portuguese laws were discussed.
Assistance to a Portuguese bank in financial restructuring and insolvency proceedings regarding several construction companies.
Legal representation of one of the largest beverage companies in the world in a complex legal case against Portuguese distribution companies, where two Portuguese companies claim damages for alleged contractual commitments of up to 6 million euros.
Legal assistance to an Israeli Airline company with litigation before Portuguese Courts involving a Boeing 767.
Assistance to a Spanish market leader energy group (one of the top five in the world) against a Portuguese energy company in an arbitration related to a breach of contract for underground storage of natural gas.
Legal assistance to an investment bank in civil and criminal judicial disputes.
"Clients highlight the team's provision of "thoughtful advice, with concise and direct answers." Sources note the department's ability to handle multiple facets of a case, reporting: "It is a multidisciplinary team that can provide a service of excellence in all aspects of law.""
"Abreu Advogados' team is valued for ‘analysing the process at every stage’ and ‘helping to define and implement the strategies and tactics needed’. It covers the full range of disputes and counts some household names among its clients. Guilherme Santos Silva comes in for praise. Alexandra Nascimento Correia and Francisco Patrício are also recommended."