Corporate and Commercial
The global market brought new opportunities but also new challenges to national and multinational companies, together with additional contractual and organisational complexity.
The growing need to cover matters related to social responsibility, ethics and consumer rights; the need to implement mechanisms for good corporate governance, allied to the optimization of organisations with special concerns for reputation, cost rationalization and reduction of likelihood of conflicts, require technically sound answers but with a strong practical sense.
The Abreu Advogados team has solid experience and extensive knowledge in the area of commercial law, covering matters such as corporate law, contract law, mergers and acquisitions, and company insolvency and restructuring.
In the field of M&A and corporate law, Abreu Advogados is particularly involved in the following:
- Transfer of assets.
- Corporate restructuring.
- Shareholders’ agreements.
- Directors’ liability.
- Assorted contracts (agency, distribution, joint ventures, etc).
- Legal due diligence, acquisition contracts.
- Corporate governance and compliance.
In the field of company insolvency and restructuring, we handle matters related to:
- Company insolvency, whether in representation of the creditors, the board of directors or the shareholders of insolvent companies.
- Company recovery and restructuring, which may be directly associated with insolvency proceedings in the wake of the approval of recovery plans, or as a preventive measure, or purely for maximising resources.
- Assistance in special revitalisation processes (including proceedings for payment agreements).
- Assisting creditors in the acquisition of assets from insolvent companies.
- Legal assistance for insolvent companies and judicial administrators.
- Assistance and representation in cross-border insolvency proceedings.
- Assistance in foreign insolvency proceedings and secondary proceedings.
- Assistance in classification of insolvency proceedings.
Advising a group of clinical laboratories in Portugal on the acquisition of shares in companies and on the internal restructuring processes of the group, including corporate and commercial due diligence, corporate structuring and drafting of contracts.
Advising a multinational group in the health sector on the acquisition of companies within the sector and business expansion and restructuring, including corporate and commercial due diligence, corporate structuring and drafting of contracts.
Advising a French group in the aviation sector on the acquisition of companies within the sector, including corporate and commercial due diligence, corporate structuring and drafting of contracts.
Advising an international real estate group on the acquisition of a leading company and property in Portugal, including corporate and commercial due diligence, corporate structuring and drafting of contracts.
Advising an international oil group on the acquisition of a competing company and petrol station and distribution network in Portugal and subsequent process of merger and corporate and business integration.
Advising a group in the aeronautical sector on the privatization process of the Portuguese Government’s holding in the Portuguese airline carrier.
Advising an international bank on the acquisition of the retail bank business of a Portuguese affiliate of an international bank.
Advising a services company on the acquisition of a number of delinquent credit portfolios from Portuguese banks and other entities.