Abreu Advogados has a working group with extensive experience in advising individuals, their families and respective family businesses on the financial and personal aspects that result from these relationships.
The firm’s Private Clients practice is experienced in several areas of the law, assisting our Clients in connection to several matters, with particular emphasis on:
- asset management, planning and structuring of investments;
- transfer of family businesses across generations, including trusts and asset structuring;
- structuring family governance rules, including execution of family protocols and related documentation;
- advice on tax;
- legal and family matters, including pre-nuptial agreements and property regimes, divorce and regulation of parental responsibilities, succession planning and disputes between family members with regard to family businesses;
- nationality (interfacing with our Immigration Sector);
- family regrouping.
These matters often become more complex when they are of an international nature, which involves determining which are the jurisdictions and respective internationally competent courts and applicable laws, European and non-European.
Abreu Advogados also represents private clients and family businesses in civil litigation (civil liability, consumer law), as well as labour, corporate, tax, administrative, criminal litigation and administrative disputes, and in mediation and arbitration proceedings.
Abreu Advogados is an associate member of the Associação das Empresas Familiares (Association of Family Businesses).